July 1st 2008, my first day at HarlemLive
Thursday, July 03, 2008
July 1St 2008, my first day at Harlem Live

The first day for me was really not what I would have expected. I came to Harlem thinking I was going to a large skyscraper, to be surrounded by businessmen. Instead I found myself going down the stairs to the basement of a facility. The first thing going through my mind was "I hope I don't get murdered". Then, as I walked down the steel staircase, and down the enclosed stone corridor that seemed like an escape passage,I saw the light. Literally I saw the light of the sun since the corridor led me to a backyard.

As the old saying goes, " Don't judge a book by its cover", it goes perfectly with my first impression. I didn't think much could come from such a creepy place, when in reality there was a warm embrace awaiting me. I was attacked by normalcy which in turn made me loosen up. I was prepared to be interrogated and dismissed by men in suits. I was astonished when I saw people in casual clothing (and not suits), and I indeed felt overdressed.

The day itself was filled with fun and games which were designed to get us all to know one another. This was a shock seeing not what I expected. I also was lucky enough to meet some new people and make friends that were just like me in some ways. I like surprises and the surprises that I encountered on my first day at Harlem live have motivated me to be myself and feel welcomed in a home like facility. I can't wait to see what in store next.


posted by regular @ 7/03/2008 11:19:00 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SPECIAL THANKS TO
PREVIOUS POSTS
A bird at Harlem Live
From a mentor at HarlemLIVE
I Felt Like a Teacher Today
Winning Team and Student of the Month
Drug Peace March!
Day at CBS!!!
NY Times
In A Days Work
HarlemLive
Spring Break


Powered by Blogger