Bike Thief
Thursday, July 13, 2006
I was coming out the gym tonight and there was another guy "unlocking" his bike where about 5 other bikes, including my own, were chained/secured against this bike post. As I stooped over to put my key into my lock, i smelled the strong body odor of someone who hadn't showered in days and perhaps had been sleeping outside. As I stood up, this guy was grumbling about having lost his key while going at the cable lock with some wirecutters. I thought, oh this guy is stealing this bike right in front of me. Then I said, "ok, i'll be a good samaritan."

I spoke up while putting my hand on the bike frame. "Um, this is my friend's bike. They're coming out the gym."

"This is not yoru friend's bike. This is my bike," the smelly man said. "I already told you this is my bike, I lost my key."

I was like, "Naw. This is my friend's bike. They'll be out shortly."

It went back and forth with him saying things like "You need to mind your own business." and "Oh so you want to be a hero." or "You played yourself," after I asked folks coming out the gym if they knew whose bike it was 'cuz this guy was trying to cut the lock." But mostly I just ignored his comments, just hoping the proper owner would arrive.

One west african guy came out and said, "that's probably the same guy that stole by bike!"

Anyway I waited 'til the thief departed, wondering if he'd now be on the lookout for me in the future.

There were others that I see all the time from the gym who started hanging outside. They said they'd look after the bike with the almost cut lock. It seemed safe since the guy gave up and went away grumbling and cursing me all the way. I didn't get to meet the person whose bike I saved. I just hope I don't live to regret it.

lol



Today, we'll talk about marketing, turning in content for points, classes and more.. Let's do this thing, folks.

posted by Rich @ 7/13/2006 09:20:00 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SPECIAL THANKS TO
PREVIOUS POSTS
ALL Staff Meeting Thursday at 1PM - Assessing wher...
This is what it's about, Getting OUT!
Best posts of the Day
Great Chance to Connect w/ many possible stories!
Summer Youth Media Challenge Teams!
My First Day.....EVER
Hey everyone! It's thursday....
HL's Summer Youth Media Challenge
HarlemLIVE - Monday June 12th
I hate Mondays but this one wasn't too bad


Powered by Blogger